Sunday, April 23, 2017

Colorado Day 2

Sunday, April 23, 2017

I decided to do my hiking today in the Arapaho National Forest so I made a stop by the visitors center in Winter Park. They had some really good trail info sheets. After discussing some of the trail options with the staff, I picked one of the more difficult ones - Jim Creek Falls. It is 3.45 miles one way and climbs from 9,230' to 10,454' in elevation.

WHAT WAS I THINKING????

I didn't make it all the way to the falls as you will find out below. However, I did hike 8.3 miles in a totally snow covered terrain. It took a little over 3 hours and I climbed about 800' in elevation (twice - on the trail and then again when I took the maintenance road). The natural sounds of the creek and forest along with the beautiful scenery was breathtaking (or is that still the altitude? Naw, I'm breathing great).

The trail head was a short drive from the visitor's center. I should have had a strong clue as to how hard the hike was going to be when I saw the beginning. The entry walkway had knee deep snow and ice piled on it.

The trail got a little tricky, but it was very much worth the effort.
You had to be careful while walking as some of the underlying ice was melting causing you to sink every now and then.

The actual trail head was about .3 mile from where I parked and started on the wooden walkway.

This is Jim Creek.



The trail went through some tall willow trees.

At times the trail followed close to a ridge line. Glad I had my hiking pole for stability.

I stopped to take this picture and

as soon as the picture snapped I broke through the snow and went in knee deep. No injuries!

Another shot of the creek.

Tall pines framing the mountain in the background.

For about the first 2 miles of the trail there had been hikers before me and the trail was easily followed. I meet 2 women on their return trip and they said they stopped a little further down the trail and decided to go back. Where the women turned around there were NO footsteps on the trail lying ahead. At first the trail was still fairly easy to follow, but then I began going on instinct. Virgin trail.

After one of the choices, I soon had to turn around and go back to where I thought I had seen a split in the trail. I then traveled the other way and went for a fairly good distance. Then the snow banks between the trees began to all look like they could be the trail. So I decided to go back and call it a good hike anyway. The sound of the creek was all you could hear. It was so peaceful being out there alone.

The point where I decided to go back.




This shows how deep the snow and ice are as they have drifted between and around the trees.

Back at the trail head is a park maintenance road so I decided to hike up it for a while.

There were some beautiful mountain views.

Per your request, this is for you Aunt Polly. It is more of an iceman than snowman or maybe a polar bear.




One last shot of Jim Creek before going back to the car.

It was a very strenuous hike but even with the tired aching feet and legs I loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment