Monday, June 26, 2017

Smoky Mountains Day 1

I had an opportunity to come to the Gatlinburg area for a few days to do some more mountain hiking. There is a big difference in snow hiking in the Rocky Mountains and summer hiking here in the Smoky's.

My initial plan was to hike a short (round trip of 5.5 miles) trail up to Rainbow Falls. However, the trail is being closed during week days to allow for repair due to the fire last year and subsequent storm damage. So, on to my second plan A: hike the Old Sugarlands Trail from Cherokee Orchard Road to the Newfound Gap Road (an 8 mile round trip climbing 1,350 feet in elevation -- both going and coming back). the trail head was at the same starting point for the Rainbow Falls trail.



The trail in the beginning follows an old road that led to an old CCC camp. Once past the camp area it drops down close to a river and the trail becomes narrower.

There were some beautiful sections with flowing streams.




Remains of old stone walls could be seen throughout the woods.

There were some signs of the fire but it appeared that this section was spared major damage.


The rolling mountains are very different from the sharp and jagged mountains of the west.

It looks like the bear(s) had some fun shredding this fallen tree.

A section of the old road bed.




Someone created a stone sculpture.

Time for a rest break and to enjoy the babbling stream.

The trail begins to narrow.

There were a few flowers in bloom. This looks like a phlox.

Rhododendron in bloom

Another stone wall


Along the trail I met a few other hikers. After I reached the end and began my return hike, I met a couple I had seen earlier. They told me they had seen a mother bear and her cubs and the area where they were. So as I got close to that area I began to watch closely and was rewarded with seeing them. The cubs were practicing climbing the tree. The mother bear watched me as I watched them for a while. I began clanging some rocks together and shouting to encourage them to move on so I could continue my hike back.

There were 3 cubs (2 on the tree and one behind the mother)


After that encounter I continued my heightened watch and about a 1/2 mile further up the trail I came across another bear standing on the trail. I snapped this picture and he stood and looked at me. I put down my camera and took a few steps backwards to let him know I wasn't a threat. It took about 15 minutes before my yelling, clapping hands, clanging rocks, and waiting before he decided to go into the woods and let me pass.

After my longer than planned hike I decided to head back to town. On the way back was a pull off for the Noah "Bud" Ogle Farm. There is the old log home and barn, and a nature trail through the forest down to a creek.







Down by the creek was an old "tub" mill with a water sluice.



The nature trail was challenging at times with climbing over rocks and watching for tree roots but offered some beautiful scenery.

Beautiful mountain ferns.




I came across some very unique "wildlife" playing in the creek.

Some of the challenging sections of the trail.


Rhododendron 


Time for a selfie!

So, my planned short hiking day turned out to have 11.4 miles of up, up, up, and down (and then back) trails. I am tired, but it was a great day to be out among nature.

NOTE TO SELF: DON'T forget the bug spray. It was a little annoying being the mosquito buffet at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment