Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Smoky Mountains Day 2

I started today by going to the Sugarlands Visitor center in the National Park to talk with the rangers about hiking trail ideas. We discussed a couple of options and I decided on taking the Alum Cave/Mount LeConte Trail. I shared info about my hike yesterday and when I mentioned I saw some bears the ranger smiled and said "A mother bear and 3 cubs and a yearling. Right?" Yep, that's what I saw. She said that they stay in that area and are seen fairly regularly.

Today's hike had 2 destination points. The first one was Alum Cave (there is no cave there just a bluff and overhang) and on the way you go through Arch Rock. It is about 2.5 miles up the trail climbing around 1,250 feet in elevation. The first section of the trail follows along Alum Cave Creek. It is definitely one of the most beautiful and serene sections of trail I have every hiked. The upward climb is gentle and the sound of the roaring creek was soothing.

I know it is hard to truly experience being out on the trail just looking at pictures, but here they are.












The stairs going through Arch Rock




There were carved steps in some of the rocks along the trail.



A dry creek bed

As you climbed further up, it began to open some so you could take in the surrounding vistas.











Alum Cave Bluff at 4,950 feet elevation is where the majority of hikers turn around and go back down.



For the foolhearted hikers, you proceed another 2.7 miles and climb an additional 1,643 feet in elevation to the top of Mount LeCante. No body said I was smart, so off I went onward and upward.



Sections of the trail became very challenging.




Yep, this is the trail!




There were some very interesting tree roots. They grow exposed so they can absorb water directly rather than from soil.

This is the roots of a group of trees that had fallen over. Notice that the trail goes under them.


Selfie time. The tube you see goes to my camelback water pouch in the backpack. You can drink while hiking.


There was some interesting fauna along the trail.


One last push upward before reaching the summit and then the trail leveled out.




Ahhhhh! some level trail.

At the top is LeConte Lodge which provides the only commercial lodging in the national park. There are 10 rustic cabins. 

Info from the lodge website: Accessible only by hiking trails and set at 6,593 feet, this storied 1920s-era lodge provides panoramic views of the Great Smoky Mountains. 

The hand-built, rough-hewn log cabins (7 single-room units and 3 multi-room lodges) offer heaters, lanterns, and bunk beds with linens and Hudson Bay wool blankets. All also have washbasins (there are no showers), tables and chairs, and covered porches with rocking chairs. There's no electricity.


There is a dining hall and most importantly - restrooms to use before the hike down.

Found a nice porch swing to rest in before tackling the hike down.


Okay, the challenge level rating for this trail is HARD/STRENUOUS and I agree. It took me a little over 6 hours to make the round trip trek. My knees began to complain on the way back down but I feel that it was definitely worth the effort. 

In total I hiked 12.5 miles and climbed about 2,965 feet in elevation. I was totally exhausted at the end and was ready for some Ibuprofen and a nap. Tomorrow I will try a couple of easier trails (maybe).

No comments:

Post a Comment