Saturday, September 15, 2018

RMNP Day 1

I am always excited to get back into the mountains for some exploration and challenging hiking. It is much different today at 80 degrees than the last time I was out here when there was still over 2 feet of snow covering the trails. There are a whole lot more people as well. It’s almost as busy as the Gatlinburg area during fall leaf season with bumper to bumper traffic. The beauty of the park is worth the congestion.

My first stop was Bear Lake. It was an easy hike and one that lots of people make. The touch of fall colors among the evergreens provided a beautiful background.


After Bear Lake the trail continues on to Dream Lake and gets a little more challenging but the number of people begis to thin out. There is a slight climb in elevation of 425 feet.


The golden aspens are always one of my favorite fall trees.


Dream Lake


For those wanting to climb a little higher, Emerald Lake is another 2 miles and 600 feet higher along the trail. The trail wasn’t too bad on the first section but did have some challenging spots.


As you climb higher the views become even more spectacular.



The water was crystal clear at Emerald Lake. You could see fish swimming in the water. 










I was able to find a spot to set my camera for a selfie before my hike back down to the trail junction at Dream Lake.








I took the trail climbing up to Lake Haiyaha (Ya - Ha). It climbs another 745 feet in elevation along a more rugged trail and very few people. I had to deal with some altitude awareness for about an hour but soon acclimated and my breathing became easier.



The trail following along the mountain side.




A log crossing over a small stream.



Once at the top,  you had to climb through these boulders to reach the lake.




It wa a beautiful place. 



I couldn’t find a level rock to set my camera so I asked a young lady to take a picture for me.


You have to climb under this pine tree that is growing on the boulders at the lake. I was told it is estimated to be over a thousand years old. 



Coming back down the mountain I took the Alberta Falls trail. 



It offered some more berth taking views. 



Parts of the trail is covered with bare tree roots were so many feet have eroded the soil.


This is Mills Lake.










It amazes me how boulders are just randomly sitting on point. You have to wonder what force of nature has placed them in such a manner.






Alberta Falls


This is a Steller`s Jay sitting on the rock. There were several of these beautiful birds in the area.




I loved this section of the trail. It was so soothing.



Came across this mother elk and her calf at a watering hole.



The day was one  of the most beautiful and satisfying I have had in a while. Total day’s hike was 10.5 miles and climbed about 1,400 feet in elevation. The whirlpool at  the hotel sure felt good.



No comments:

Post a Comment