Friday, June 10, 2016

Peru - Ecuador - Galápagos Islands

It's hard to believe the time has arrived for me to take off and explore some new regions of the world. I have my bags packed with a wide range of clothing (jeans to swim trunks) and some special gear (trekking poles to a LARGE bottle of mosquito spray), and YES, I have packed my "Monkey" rain hat.

After a late night flight to Lima, Peru, I will have a day to explore the city before heading to Iquitos in the northern part of the country. This is where we will board a small boat for 5 days of cruising the Amazon River and exploring local jungle villages. 

To give you an idea of the type of adventure that lies ahead, here is a description of the "lodge" where I will be staying for 3 nights:


 

"The 40 typical palm-thatched jungle lodge rooms now have private bathroom facilities, but still no hot water and no AC. And don't worry, the Lodge has maintained its atmosphere with kerosene lamps and torches for lighting, mosquito-netted beds, and covered walkways to the Tahuampa Bar and Hammock House where you can relax surrounded by a myriad of rainforest sounds. A generator may supply electricity for a few hours each night in the dinning room area for charging camera batteries. If you like to read you should bring a flashlight."


Hmmm! Guess I won't be posting to my blog for a few days unless I can figure out how to tap into a satellite feed for internet access. I have been watching some of the old MacGyver episodes so just maybe (let's see: wire coat hanger, car battery, small transitor radio, and some duct tape - hey! you always have to have duct tape)!!!!!


We will be doing jungle walks and visiting local villages for an up close look at the tribal culture. Hoping to learn how to make those poisonous blow darts. Might just have to acquire one of those grass skirts as well.



canopy walk takes us on the longest treetop walkway in the world (over 1,500 feet long) and 120 feet above the ground. Breathtaking views await I am sure!


After the Amazon experience, it's back to Lima to soak up some cool AC, take a hot shower, wash a few clothes, post to my blog, and do some more city exploration before heading to Cuzco and the Peruvian mountains. 


Okay, so now we go from the hot humid tropical jungle to the cool, thin aired atmosphere of being over 8,000 feet in altitude. Guess we won't need AC here, but I sure hope we have hot water! I did pack a pair of jeans and a fleece jacket as it gets down to 40's at night and we have an early morning hike planned to reach Machu Picchu, "Lost city of the Incas". 



Sure hope my trips to the fitness center these past few weeks for some intense physical training helps me handle the potential altitude sickness. Slow, deep breaths and a steady walking pace should do the trick. If not, I don't mind hunting an oxygen station.



After our mountain adventure in Peru, it's off to Quito, Ecuador for a couple days of local exploration before boarding the Archipel I and heading out to the Galápagos Islands. 



Now it's time to start taking Dramamine to help my stomach deal with staying on this yacht in the Pacific Ocean and cruising for 3 days around the islands. Up, down, up, down, up, down! Okay, out of my way, I need to get to the rail!



I can hardly wait to see all the pure nature of these famous islands. Hope to get in some snorkeling and up close encounters with some unique creatures. 


After 21 days of new adventures and exploring it will be time to head home. I will be back just in time to celebrate the 4th of July with family and start sorting through the hundreds (probably thousands) of pictures.


I will post pictures and share some stories when I have the opportunity. Some will probably have to wait until I get back home. So put your feet up, grab some cool refreshment, and come on along as we  explore once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment