Sunday, June 12, 2016

The Journey Begins

June 11, 2016

Should I be worried? This trip didn't get off to a real good start. We were delayed leaving the gate because one of the plane's air conditioning units went down. They finally decided to proceed without the AC unit and left the gate. As we were backing away from the gate, they made an announcement that one of the passengers has a severe peanut allergy so no nut products would be served during the flight and for other passengers to not consume any peanut products they may have brought on board. So much for my Snickers bar lunch I had planned! 😱

Then, since we were delayed, the Atlanta airport bumped us from our landing slot so we had to sit on the tarmac for a new clearance to take off. So I learned that the receiving airport has to approve your flight arrangements before you can takeoff. ✈️ While sitting on the hot airplane, a passenger started getting sick and requested to get off the plane. We were taken back to the gate to let him de-plane. Because of all the delays, we then had to wait for the plane to take on additional fuel. Sure glad I had a 3 hour window between flights in Atlanta to give me time to get to the International terminal.

Arrived in Atlanta just an hour late so I had plenty of time to change terminals and to stop for some lunch. It did get pretty warm on the plane but thankfully it was a short flight. The flight to Lima was only 6 1/2 hours which is much shorter than the several 15 - 16 hour flights I took last year. It was a nice journey as I upgraded to Delta's new "Comfort +" class for some extra leg room. We arrived in Lima around 12:30 a.m. Sunday morning. It took a little over an hour to get through immigration and customs and it was about 2:30 a.m. before I was settled into my room and ready to sleep.

We are staying at a older, quaint hotel in the Miraflores area of Lima. 







The room is nice and cozy with a rustic feel like from the 50's.

Well, it's time for breakfast and then some exploration.

No comments:

Post a Comment